Random thoughts, poetry and pictures

Random thoughts, poetry and pictures
A taste of my skewed view of the world.

Sunday, June 16, 2024

Mixed Feelings

 don't get me wrong,

i still celebrate my dad

his wisdom, his hard work,


the hours he spent

teaching me to play ball,

to defend myself, to forgive.


but

father’s day

is a sad day for me


remembering good times

seeing the joy in his eye when Joe could

swim and ride a bike for the first time,


camping trips,

bedtime stories, holidays,

his sense of humor.


for nineteen years,

father’s day was a celebration of 

being ‘Joe’s Dad’.


(really, a celebration of my son)


for twelve years,

father’s day has been

a somber reminder of his absence. 


how many years will it take

to learn to celebrate father’s day

without Joe?


© 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment